What’s The Deal With Oil?
- Posted by TheArmoTrader
- on February 19th, 2013
With the market trending up since the beginning of the year (S&P 500 is nearly +7% YTD), Treasuries & Gold on the verge of a sell-off, and the Yen craziness, little attention has been paid to oil. While mention of gas prices are always evident, as WTI Oil ($CL_F) gets close to $100, I just have not seen any declarations of $200 oil like I have in the past. That might have to do with the fact that the US is getting more “energy-independent” by the day (via the shale revolution) or it just might have to do with the fact that other asset classes are taking up all the headlines. I don’t know, and frankly, it doesn’t matter too much.
But what I do know is charts, and oil is setup for a move in the near term.
$CL_F - Light, Sweet Crude Oil Futures (Monthly)
I want to take at a super-long term chart before getting down to the daily. Here is the monthly chart for WTI oil. As you see, there is an ever-increasing symmetrical triangle/apex forming. We’ve had lower highs but also higher lows. This is bound to break way way or the other eventually.
(Click the image to embiggen)
Now for the daily. This is what I’ll be watching for in the following days/weeks. As you see, we have formed a nice little tight range between 95 & 98. A break below 95, and I’d expect oil to trade quickly down to 90. Above 98, naturally, I’d expect a test of 100. Yes, Not much to either side, but I wouldn’t expect a big move until the above apex actually breaks.
Right now, I’m thinking it breaks to the downside because of the potential double top pattern that’s forming. However, I have to respect the consolidation its been in after having a decent move (~14%) from the December 2012 low.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Jerry Khachoyan is currently an undergraduate student at UCLA pursuing a degree in Political Science. He started trading in September of 2008. He concentrates on using technical analysis and reading the tape to enter the best risk/reward trades. The stock market to him is one of the greatest inventions by man.
- When Was The Last Time The Market Tripled?
- Was That The Dip?
- Are A Few Asian Markets Ready To Breakout?
- Are Treasuries On The Verge Of A Breakout?
- This Is A BTFD Market Until Proven Otherwise
- Small-Cap Underperformance Is Concerning
- Is The NASDAQ In Need Of A Pullback?
- Is Yahoo Headed Towards A Selloff?
- Should You Be Freakin’ Long Here?
- Stocks Priced In Gold Are Getting More Expensive
- This Is Why Ballmer Just Paid $2 Billion For The Clippers
- Is Gold Volatility About To Ramp Up?
- Is Oil About To Breakout To Higher Prices?
- Is The Bond Rally Really That Surprising?
- Has Amazon Topped or Is This Another Buying Opportunity?