This Is A BTFD Market Until Proven Otherwise
- Posted by TheArmoTrader
- on July 16th, 2014
The stock market came within a few points of hitting a new all-time high once again today. This has been the story of the past year and a half. We’ve grinded higher, with a few bumps and bruises along the way. But for the most part, we keep heading higher. I can list a bunch arguments citing macro, fundamentals, and/or sentiment. That’s fine and dandy but neither of those tell us the state of the market.
Right now, volatility is low (and declining). And the market is slowly creeping higher. This has been true since 2012 and continues to be true today. We’re in a “BTFD” (Buy The F**k*** Dip) market until proven otherwise. Until the channel in the chart below breaks, there is really no reason to put on heavy shorts or stop buying the dip. Of course, I’m speaking in terms of a more shorter-timeframe – you don’t want to be going all in after a massive 2 years runup in the market- but overall, this is the bull market we are in and we must accept it.
Or you can lose money by listening to the bears, doom-&-gloomers, and pessimists of the world. This blog post might top the market, but hey, all I know is that “BTFD” has worked and I’ll assume it’ll keep on working. If it doesn’t, as long as I respect my stops and cut my losses, I have nothing to worry about.
$SPY – SPDR S&P 500 Weekly Chart
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Jerry Khachoyan is currently an undergraduate student at UCLA pursuing a degree in Political Science. He started trading in September of 2008. He concentrates on using technical analysis and reading the tape to enter the best risk/reward trades. The stock market to him is one of the greatest inventions by man.
- The Sky Is Always Falling: Why All Economic News Is Bad
- Is Alibaba About To “Pull a Twitter”?
- Some Long-Term Charts To Keep An Eye Out For
- Are Defense Stocks Better Than Gold?
- Time To Enjoy Some Sam Adams?
- When Was The Last Time The Market Tripled?
- Was That The Dip?
- Are A Few Asian Markets Ready To Breakout?
- Are Treasuries On The Verge Of A Breakout?
- This Is A BTFD Market Until Proven Otherwise
- Small-Cap Underperformance Is Concerning
- Is The NASDAQ In Need Of A Pullback?
- Is Yahoo Headed Towards A Selloff?
- Should You Be Freakin’ Long Here?
- Stocks Priced In Gold Are Getting More Expensive