How Important Is The Massive Breakout In Oil?
- Posted by TheArmoTrader
- on July 12th, 2013
If you have been watching WTI Oil over the past year, you know that it has been pretty much dead money. It has traded in a pretty tight range and has gone nowhere. However, over the past 1-2 weeks, we have seen a massive breakout occur. Is this threatening to the economy or stock market? Well, a few basic charts should help us answer that question.
[Side Note: Follow SoberLook for comments on why oil is moving]
You would think higher oil prices would hurt the economy and thus the market right? Well, technically, yes. There comes a point where higher oil prices will hurt the economy. But for starters, we have no idea where that point is. Secondly, if you want to gauge oil’s impact on the economy/markets, you should look at Brent Oil.
Brent Oil tracks gasoline (which as I have explained, is a big majority of our energy spending) very closely (see here). And the Brent chart isn’t really looking that threatening right now. It’s just trading in the lower part of the range still.
In fact, the WTI-Brent spread has narrowed to its lowest in 31 months (H/T Zerohedge).
So what does this mean for gasoline? We are unlikely to see a major spike. We could see the price lift a little, but don’t expect much. In fact, the retail price of gas was just at a multi-month low recently. So don’t expect a major move yet (to either side). We first need to see a breakout from this range that RBOB Gasoline has been trading in. So don’t worry too much over this move in oil.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Jerry Khachoyan is currently an undergraduate student at UCLA pursuing a degree in Political Science. He started trading in September of 2008. He concentrates on using technical analysis and reading the tape to enter the best risk/reward trades. The stock market to him is one of the greatest inventions by man.
- Is Alibaba About To “Pull a Twitter”?
- Some Long-Term Charts To Keep An Eye Out For
- Are Defense Stocks Better Than Gold?
- Time To Enjoy Some Sam Adams?
- When Was The Last Time The Market Tripled?
- Was That The Dip?
- Are A Few Asian Markets Ready To Breakout?
- Are Treasuries On The Verge Of A Breakout?
- This Is A BTFD Market Until Proven Otherwise
- Small-Cap Underperformance Is Concerning
- Is The NASDAQ In Need Of A Pullback?
- Is Yahoo Headed Towards A Selloff?
- Should You Be Freakin’ Long Here?
- Stocks Priced In Gold Are Getting More Expensive
- This Is Why Ballmer Just Paid $2 Billion For The Clippers