Has the Great Rotation Already Started?
- Posted by TheArmoTrader
- on March 8th, 2013
Over the past 1/2 year, we have been constantly hearing of the ‘Great Rotation‘. There is a thought out there that investors are starting to ‘rotate’ their money out of bonds and into equities ($SPX). First off, this idea of a “great rotation” is a big misunderstanding of markets. Second, the actual “Great Rotation” has been happening in other asset classes.
As Joe Weisenthal of Business Insider argues, there has been a few major asset classes. You of course had equities, currencies and bonds. But you also had Gold and Apple. However, as of late, as the market has been ripping higher, Bonds ($TLT) have not really sold off like everyone would have expected. However, 2 “asset classes” have. You have actually been seeing the “Other Great Rotation“.
The unwind and “Great Rotation” of Apple ($AAPL) and Gold ($GLD, $GC_F) has been occurring over the past few months. Below is a price performance chart of the $SPY, $GLD, and $AAPL, indexed for the week QE3 was announced. As you see, the market is up 9.20% since that date. Apple & Gold? Down 34.35% & 8.73%, respectively. Now THAT’S a great rotation.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Jerry Khachoyan is currently an undergraduate student at UCLA pursuing a degree in Political Science. He started trading in September of 2008. He concentrates on using technical analysis and reading the tape to enter the best risk/reward trades. The stock market to him is one of the greatest inventions by man.
- No, Government Spending Is Not Exploding
- Now THIS Is Resistance
- Stocks Keep On Trucking
- Rooting For A Choppy January
- Is Gold About To Move Higher?
- Predictions for 2014
- The Best & Worst Performing Industries of 2013
- The 2013 Chart Of The Year
- Will 2014 Mark the Return of Market Volatility?
- A Bearish Pattern For Bitcoin?
- This Chart Nearly Disproves The Myth Surrounding Unemployment Insurance
- A Modest Proposal For The Minimum Wage Debate
- What Exactly Is Economic Growth?
- Bonds Are Hanging On For Dear Life
- Should Bill Ackman Buy Back Into JCPenney?