Should You Be Freakin’ Long Here?
- Posted by TheArmoTrader
- on June 9th, 2014
About a month ago, David Tepper, famed hedge fund manager, sparked “fear” in the market when during a SALT conference interview he told people to not be “freakin’ long here“. Of course, after a ~5% rally in the markets, Tepper told CNBC that his chief market concerns had been “alleviated.” Now, I’m not here to bag on Tepper. I think he’s a smart dude and to be fair to him, he’s a long-term macro-guy. But when he said “don’t be so freakin’ long” back in May, he was a month early. After a multi-month consolidation and correction, being pretty long in May wasn’t that bad of move (and yes, hindsight, blah blah).
But right now? I’d be worried if I was establishing new, heavy positions here or if I was already really long. Why? Just one technical reason. Let’s take a look at the chart.
Here’s the $SPY. You can clearly see that price is testing the higher part of this channel. Now, this doesn’t mean we can’t breakout and go higher (especially since RSI is only in the 60s), but if I was pretty long here, I’d be looking to hedge and/or reduce risk soon. It’s very likely we just trade sideways and work off this “overbought” condition and move higher (once again). But given that sell-offs happen sharply and unexpectedly, I wouldn’t be so “freakin’ long” here.
$SPY – SPDR S&P 500 ETF
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Jerry Khachoyan is currently an undergraduate student at UCLA pursuing a degree in Political Science. He started trading in September of 2008. He concentrates on using technical analysis and reading the tape to enter the best risk/reward trades. The stock market to him is one of the greatest inventions by man.
- Is Alibaba About To “Pull a Twitter”?
- Some Long-Term Charts To Keep An Eye Out For
- Are Defense Stocks Better Than Gold?
- Time To Enjoy Some Sam Adams?
- When Was The Last Time The Market Tripled?
- Was That The Dip?
- Are A Few Asian Markets Ready To Breakout?
- Are Treasuries On The Verge Of A Breakout?
- This Is A BTFD Market Until Proven Otherwise
- Small-Cap Underperformance Is Concerning
- Is The NASDAQ In Need Of A Pullback?
- Is Yahoo Headed Towards A Selloff?
- Should You Be Freakin’ Long Here?
- Stocks Priced In Gold Are Getting More Expensive
- This Is Why Ballmer Just Paid $2 Billion For The Clippers