Comparing The 2010 & 2011 Ranges
- Posted by TheArmoTrader
- on October 25th, 2011
So far since the big sell-off in the summer, we have been stuck in a big range which we just barely broke out of a few trading days ago. Everyone has heard the phrase “History repeats”; well I like the phrase “History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme.” If you take a look back to Summer of 2010, when we had a similar range after a big sell-off (flash crash), you would start to notice many similarities.
- Big range in which it paid to buy the bottom, sell the top (until it did not of course)
- Volatility high
- “Fake breakdown” after the initial crash
- Breakout? (Yet to be seen if this was the breakout to lead us back into the bull market)
- Very high Bearish sentiment near bottom (+ Death cross!)
Take a look at the charts below, do they look similar?
$SPY – SPDR S&P 500 2011 Daily chart
$SPY – SPDR S&P 500 2010 Daily chart
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Jerry Khachoyan is currently an undergraduate student at UCLA pursuing a degree in Political Science. He started trading in September of 2008. He concentrates on using technical analysis and reading the tape to enter the best risk/reward trades. The stock market to him is one of the greatest inventions by man.
- What Have The Markets Done & Where Can We Be Heading?
- Return From Hiatus!
- The Sky Is Always Falling: Why All Economic News Is Bad
- Is Alibaba About To “Pull a Twitter”?
- Some Long-Term Charts To Keep An Eye Out For
- Are Defense Stocks Better Than Gold?
- Time To Enjoy Some Sam Adams?
- When Was The Last Time The Market Tripled?
- Was That The Dip?
- Are A Few Asian Markets Ready To Breakout?
- Are Treasuries On The Verge Of A Breakout?
- This Is A BTFD Market Until Proven Otherwise
- Small-Cap Underperformance Is Concerning
- Is The NASDAQ In Need Of A Pullback?
- Is Yahoo Headed Towards A Selloff?