A Cautionary Pattern For The Bulls?
- Posted by TheArmoTrader
- on July 9th, 2013
The market ($SPY) has rallied a little less than 6% off the most recent swing lows. We are finally above that dreaded 50 day moving average, which had been acting as a major resistance area. However, the coast is not clear yet. There’s a pretty cautionary pattern forming that the bulls have to be aware of. And I’m not the only one worried about being a stubborn bull here.
Here is a chart of the SPDR S&P 500 ETF. As you see, we’ve had a nice bounce off the lows. However, we are running up against some resistance. But the trendline is not the what worries me. It is the broadening top pattern, also known as the megaphone pattern.
While the argument can be made that this is a descending broadening wedge, which typically is more bullish, I like to keep things simple and view it as basic as possible. There’s a big volatile range, and the price is setting lower lows and lower highs. And until I see something different, I will be lean more cautious-neutral. Bigger picture, this is actually bullish. We are having a nice consolidation phase near all-time highs after ripping year-to-date. But short-term, one has to be cautious here to the long side.
(The Dow Jones Industrial ETF, $DIA is also showing a pretty similar pattern.)
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
Jerry Khachoyan is currently an undergraduate student at UCLA pursuing a degree in Political Science. He started trading in September of 2008. He concentrates on using technical analysis and reading the tape to enter the best risk/reward trades. The stock market to him is one of the greatest inventions by man.
- This Chart Nearly Disproves The Myth Surrounding Unemployment Insurance
- A Modest Proposal For The Minimum Wage Debate
- What Exactly Is Economic Growth?
- Bonds Are Hanging On For Dear Life
- Should Bill Ackman Buy Back Into JCPenney?
- Silver Is Looking To Crash
- Was Good News Really Bad News?
- Is The US Headed Towards a Recession?
- Enjoying The Low Energy Prices?
- Is The Dollar Setting Up For a Massive Run?
- Don’t Buy This Market Breakout!
- Is Macy’s A Buy?
- One Undeniably Bullish Fact Of This Bull Market
- Why The Level Of Public Debt Doesn’t Matter
- No, Don’t Freak Over Treasury Bill Market